And yesterday things went on just as usual. I wonder if I’ve been changed in the night? Let me think, I was the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I’m not the same, the next question is, Who in the World am I? Ah, that’s the great puzzle!
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
As 2017 draws to a close, I thought I might do a quick recap of some of the statistics and favorite memories of my 15 month journey around the world….twice. I also included some of my favorite photos that I don’t believe made it into the previous blogs.
Days Traveled: 425
Countries Visited: 48
Flights Taken: 94
Miles Flown: 145,121 (plus 2,953 by train and 3,346 by bus not including tours)
Miles Walked: 1,479 (average 4.4 per day)
Airlines Flown: 34
Different Methods of Travel: 22 (highlights included camels, feluccas and tuk tuks)
Things I learned on my Journey:
- Not all countries have Sour Cream and Onion Pringles but the ones that do have prices that vary from $.50 to $5.00 USD.
- Trains are unable to adhere to schedules in any country in the world.
- People everywhere lose their collective minds in airports.
- Spending too much time overseas makes it difficult to remember how to spell color (colour).
- There are days you wake up and genuinely have to think hard about which country you are visiting.
- I still pause before getting in a car to think about which side is the driver’s side.
- Women are treated less than equally nearly everywhere in the world. Some places are just worse than others.
And now, some of my favorite memories (in no particular order).
- Sitting in Berlin, next to the Brandenburg Gate drinking gluhwein and chatting with strangers.
- Listing to Pink Floyd laying in the desert in Morocco.
- Hiking to the top of Mt. Sinai to catch the sunrise.
- Lying by the pool on top of a hotel in Casablanca listening to the Muslim Call to Prayer (Adhan) from all over the city.
- Drinking beer from an upstairs open bar waving and posing for photos in China
- Crashing the set and befriending the crew of Robin Hood in Croatia.
- Hiking up a mountain to sit on an ancient Incan ruin and chatting about places that move you in Peru.
- Racing full speed down the Death Road on a bike in Bolivia.
- Every moment on game drives in Africa.
- Wine tasting with instant friends in Cape Town.
- Every stranger who paused to befriend me, welcome me into their home, share a meal or pose for a photo.
- Risking death by making our way to the top of a mountain in Emei Shan, carrying monkey sticks to see the clouds clear around a beautiful gold temple.
- Crashing a felucca while floating down the Nile in Egypt.
- Having our truck break down in the middle of the Bolivian Salt Flats, “forcing” us to watch the sunset without any other humans within sight.
- Ringing a strangers doorbell to have dinner in his home surrounded by his friends and neighbors in Bolivia.
- Meeting up with Antarctica friends all over the world.
- Riding a hot air balloon at sunrise over migration in Kenya.
- Countless other memories which escape me at this moment but will continue to present themselves with time.
I saw amazing sights, visited all seven continents, saw most of the Wonders of the World and tried some activities I would have not tried at other times in my life. I think most of all though, I am especially grateful for the friends I made all over the world. Each of you is what made my journey truly memorable. I hope to see all I met and all of those I have yet to meet again and again.
Next stop….the Arctic in summer of 2018 (although there are likely to be several other adventures before then!)
In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
5 thoughts on “Memories of a Trip Around the World”
I am a friend of your mother and a classmate of your father. I followed your blogs and throughly enjoyed every one of them. You are a wonderful writer and I agree with Chris in that you should write a book about your adventures. It would be a great read!
Thanks so much for following and I am glad you enjoyed it- I will still have more adventures to share- but they won’t happen at the same rate! I will play around with a book but I am not sure how interesting I can make it!
Beautiful. I love it.
What a great blog. I feel at times I have seen a lot more of the world just through your eyes and your experiences. So glad you did this. Mom
What a wonderful surprise to get your post today. Really enjoyed your adventures and look forward to the next. You really should put all in a form of a book. “MY Year with Alice in Wonderland”